Wednesday, March 24, 2010

cost of living for a student in Vientiane

I sponsor a student at a College in Vientiane. Can anybody , even somebody like I who is sponsoring too , how much the cost of living is for a Lao student per month ? As the student is not only depending on me for the fees of the College , I pay him a monthly living allowance too. With this I mean food , cost of petrol for motorbike to and from College . Clothing and rent for room excluded.



cost of living for a student in Vientiane


PM me and I will answer your queries in detail.



cost of living for a student in Vientiane


sorry , I am not so computer literate , what means pm



thanks for your reply




PM= private message. I sponsor 2 students and I will give you some info as well by PM.



Cheers




To send a personal message, you need to click on the poster%26#39;s name (e.g. Rufuscat).





Then click on %26#39;Send Message%26#39;. Type in your question and click %26#39;Send%26#39;.





They can then read your message in private and send a personal message to you that only you can read.




My partners brother is studying law in vientiane and he lives on US$20-30 per month depending on how much he can raise from siblings. He stays with a relative so this doesnt include rent, but dormitory accomodation for students can be had for $3 (20,000kip) per week excluding food.





The average working wage is about $40/month for factory workers, lao teachers, civil servants etc, so this should be more than enough for a student living allowance without a family to support.





Fuel - I use $3 per week in motorbike fuel going all round the wider city each day.



Food is far cheaper away from the river area, either markets or stalls.



$30 per month should be fine - if he wants to drink beer he can get a part time job like we had to!




Thanks ';Bluecramp'; it opens my eyes more and more as I was ignorant too about the wages in Lao . I know , they were very low , but nobody ever would tell me the exact amount.




Bluecramp, you are wrong. A teacher earns just over $100.00 per month. I know as I used to teach them.




My father in law, a mechanic, earns 22,000 Baht a month.




Rufus 22,000 Baht is that equal to around $600 amonth ?





I noticed on the last trip a lot of brand new top quality machinery in the south. For that sort of investment you only want skilled trained mechanics %26amp; will pay for this.




HI Alicie,



yes 22k baht is about 600 AUD. My bil is a car mechanic however. Thee average per capita income in Lao is now about $600US and this takes all the population, hill tribes etc, into account, and they earn nothing of course.



The cramp%26#39;s figures are WAY off, both in terms of what students pay for dormitory accommodation at Dong Dok and in terms of wages. What he also ignores is that governemnt workers may earn low wages, but they do have perks. They frequently get land for thier own use for example. A teacher in the boondocks would earn a bit more than cramp suggests; a teacher at a govt school earns more than 250% more tha he suggests. At the international school, (yes this is a unique case), teacher assistants earn about 220US per month.

No comments:

Post a Comment