Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Paying for accomodation in advance - deposit or in full?

Hello, does anyone know whether it%26#39;s normal to pay up front the full amount for your accomodation?



We are staying 10 nights in Luang Prabang and I%26#39;m a bit concerned about the guest house wanting the payment in full now. I would prefer to just pay a deposit, incase the place is no good. What is the norm?



Thanks Kristy





Paying for accomodation in advance - deposit or in full?


I have been to Laos 6 times and have never ever paid up front, not even a deposit. I would be very wary of doing this, especially if your plans should change or the place does not end up to be what you expected it to be (this tends to happen often in Laos!)...Just my 2 cents...



Paying for accomodation in advance - deposit or in full?


Agree totally with Maneki. Do not pay all up front, and ';no'; it is not the norm here.




Thanks so much for your help!! Hmmmm - maybe I will have to say we can only pay a deposit. I heard that christmas/new year time is a bit of a nightmare with accomodation, so I thought we better do what we were asked. Hard to know as you hear so many different things!! If you know of any great places to stay too, let me know.



Cheers Kristy




There are a zillion places to stay in LP but it may be wise to book in advance (never heard of a deposit being required but I always make it a point to re-confirm one week -10 days before I arrive), especially at places mid-range and up. I stay in guesthouses (prefer to support the local peopel instead of international chains) and my budget is $15-$25. Let me know if that%26#39;s your price/comfort range and I%26#39;ll list some places. Oh, and if you look around, you%26#39;ll find Luang Prabang to be overpriced compared to the rest of the country.




Thanks so much again. I was looking for guest houses too and under $25 is great!!So your suggestions would be fabulous. It is Munglao guesthouse who was wanting us to pay in advance in full. Cheers Kristy




Thanks, Kris, for bringing this up. Our budget is around $25-$15 a night as well. We%26#39;re definitely in for supporting the local economy.





Maneki, I would like to hear your list of hotels in that price range. We are going to be in Luang Prabang for four nights in late December.





We have booked at Villa Laodeum near Royal Palace for now just so we would have somewhere to unload our stuffs first when we arrive. It%26#39;s difficult to find reviews on that hotel so we%26#39;re just keeping our fingers crossed. High season rate is 35USD for a night. I booked it through their website and no money transfer was required. I would like to hear words on that hotel if anyone has stayed there in the past. Below is their website.





http://www.villalaodeum.com/





Heidi






Here%26#39;s a list I have of GHs in LP





Maoluck Hotel maoluck@laotel.com





Suansavan GH (856) 71-213032





Sabaidee Gh sabaigh@hotmail.com





Saysamphanh GH mimi_soudaphone@yahoo.com





Maniphone GH (856) 71-212636





Villa Kiengkham (856) 71-212204





Malida GH (856) 71-212204





Monkdavane GH (856) 71-252402





Kinnaly GH (856) 71-212416




I think that second one should read ';Manoluck'; (the e-mail as well)...sorry...





These are all $15-$25 range places. Save that extra $20 per night you %26#39;ll be saving by staying there and doante it to the Big Brother Mouse Project while you%26#39;re in Luang Prabang, help the local children! :-)



http://www.bigbrothermouse.com/




Here is a Google Map with hotels and guesthouses in Luang Prabang:



…blogspot.com/search/…20Guesthouses








Hi. How was your stay at Villa Laodeum? Any recommendations for accommodation? I%26#39;m looking for places in the same price range. Quiet and clean. Thanks.


  • pimple
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment