Sunday, March 28, 2010

Moderate guest house for solo woman traveler

Would someone recommend a moderately priced guest house/hotel/B%26amp;B in Luang Prabang that is appropriate for a woman traveling alone?





I want a private toilet/shower, air conditioning %26amp; one with good food, no bed bugs or theft issues.





I will be staying for 2 nights before trekking.





Also would appreciate restaurant recommendations with authentic Lao food in LP.





Thanks!



Moderate guest house for solo woman traveler


hi there! just got back from l.p. also female travelling alone. there are heaps and heaps of guesthouses. not sure what you mean by moderate but what you get for your money really varies. i stayed at 5 places in 9 days! the best overall value for me was at ThanaBoun Guesthouse. it%26#39;s located on the main street (sisavangvong)which initially was a turn off because i was not interested in being in the thick of it. however, the place is new, clean, with nice beds, a.c., excellent hot shower, and a small flat screen t.v.--all for 20 bucks. the people also run an internet cafe in front. they are not the friendliest folk but the rooms are spotless. ask for one upstairs near the back. don%26#39;t worry about food, there are cafes and restaurants and food stands everywhere. for a bit of a splurge, the villa phathana on ounheunne near the national museum is lovely. nice staff, really big, beautiful rooms with all of your needs including proper breakfast for about 35 u.s. www.villaphathana.com. let me know if you have any questions about other places. good luck and definitely have a couple of glasses of wine down on the mekong at sunset. sigh.



Moderate guest house for solo woman traveler


J



Did you check out the travelfish site? They have an extensive list of great GHs in all price ranges.




I also agree that travelfish is a great site for recommendations!





I stayed in a couple of different places in 2006 but don%26#39;t remember the names of them. There are many, many guest houses and Luang Prabang is quite safe in general. I felt perfectly safe walking around in town as a solo female traveller.




Yes, I checked out Travel Fish... the Apsara Hotel is highly rated, which is where I%26#39;ve booked my galpal in an UPSTAIRS room in their STANDARD room, overlooking the river w/ it%26#39;s own balcony.





The problem with Travel Fish reviews on hotels in Luang Prabang is, most of the hotels have ONE REVIEW or none.





As a very experienced traveler I would never base my choice on ONE REVIEW, considering some of the off-the-mark or inexperienced reviews/comments I%26#39;ve read on this %26amp; other travel forums.





Not only are there cultural differences amongst many of us (since this is an international forum) but expectations, levels of comfort are very different for different people.





My friend is 48 %26amp; Canadian %26amp; I%26#39;d never put her in a guest house that had no A/C because she%26#39;s not used to the hot, humid climate of SE Asia in April. She doesn%26#39;t want to share a bathroom... and for $5 more per night (from a recommended guest house in REP), I booked her into a hotel in REP with a pool, because I KNOW she%26#39;ll want to use it (like we did) during lunchtime.





Nothing I read on Travel Fish on hotels/guest houses in either LP or REP takes any of that into consideration... Not everyone is 20, used to humidity/heat or into sharing a toilet %26amp; not having a pool.





I think a lot of the places on Travel Fish are paid listings because there are no reviews whatsoever. I%26#39;d never trust that.

No comments:

Post a Comment