Friday, March 26, 2010

What airline to fly REP to Luang Prabang then BKK?

I want to fly directly from Siem Reap (REP) to Luang Prabang.





What airline flies this route? Does it fly on Sundays?





I will then need to fly from Luang Prabang to make an international depature at BKK Bangkok airport.





What airline flies this route?





Is there a transit at BKK or will I have to go through Thai immigration?



What airline to fly REP to Luang Prabang then BKK?


Bangkok Air. http://www.bangkokair.com/index.php



They fly Siem Reap-Bangkok and Bangkok-Luang Prabang but presently no flights directly from Siem eap to Luang Prabang. (I will be doing this route, in reverse, in September) If you can get connecting flights on the same day then you just stay in transit in Bangkok. If there is no connecting flight, you will have to exit Thai immigration and stay the night in Bangkok.



What airline to fly REP to Luang Prabang then BKK?


You can save a bundle with Bangkok Airways Discovery Airpass if you%26#39;re willing to take on the indirect routing and extra time that going through BKK entails.



Otherwise, check out Vietnam Airlines (but not on Sundays) or Lao Air for direct flights (about 90 minutes) from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang.




The only problem with the airpass is that you book your first ticket, and then you have to book the other tickets en route. I have looked into this and have found



1) major hassle- do I want to be calling/yapping with travel agents during my trip? No.



2) you can%26#39;t always get the seats you want, flight%26#39;s sometimes full and pass is excluded for use on some flights.





Sure you%26#39;ll save maybe $20-$100 if you buy up to six tickets but for me I can%26#39;t be arsed with it. It might be a good deal if you have heaps of free time and are very budget-minded...




I should have added you can save big bucks traveling on multiple domestic flights but for the international flights I am taking (same as Oksana%26#39;s route) the savings wouldn%26#39;t be that great...




Sorry, Neko, but you%26#39;re misinformed about the Discovery Airpass. It is true that the conditions and requirements on the website can be confusing, but there is loads of information on this and other travel forums. Like many others, I%26#39;ve found it to be terrific value, great service, and needing only a bit of organization and planning.



We booked all our flights over the phone directly with Bangkok Airways in October for Jan-Feb travel: BKK to Luang Prabang, Luang Prabang to Siem Reap, Siem Reap to Phuket, Phuket to BKK. Total cost was $360 US per person; all in, about $600 US per person.



Yes, if you wish, there is the option of booking only the initial flight and then adding the rest, but it%26#39;s only an option. I had their schedule in front of me when I was on the phone with their office and had to do some minor rejigging, but not much.



I%26#39;m sure lots of travellers would be interested in hearing the details from your experience of better flight options for the routes outlined above.




James,





I%26#39;m actually doing this for a pal who lives in NY but is flying from Toronto...





Did you call Bangkok Airways in Canada or elsewhere?





Please post the number here.





So, if I want to fly



BKK to REP





then



REP to Luang Prabang





then





Luang Prabang to BKK





would those be eligible for THE DISCOVER PASS?




I%26#39;m a Canadian who%26#39;s been in Japan since September. I phoned a Japan office of Bangkok Airways and made the arrangements through them.



See their website at http://www.bangkokair.com/ for worldwide offices of Bangkok Airways--there%26#39;s one in NYC. One caution: you want to make sure that you%26#39;re talking to an agent at an actual office, not someone at a call centre in India. The other thing is that use of a credit card means a surcharge, so it%26#39;s better to do the transaction by money order or bank transfer.



The flights you name would all be eligible for the Discovery Airpass. From now until the end of March this route could be done for a total of 7500 baht (less than $250 US), all inclusive--see the website.



Again, check the Bangkok Airways website carefully and look at the actual flight schedules from one place to another. It%26#39;s wise to book the flights well in advance and have a few alternative dates/times available as you talk to them, especially if the booking is close to departure date.



If you search this forum and Fodor%26#39;s you%26#39;ll see lots of feedback on the use of the Discovery Airpass. Users of this pass are almost unanimous that it is a very good deal, so long as you book well in advance and plan carefully. I%26#39;d suggest that these flights should be booked before finalizing other travel arrangements (e.g., prepaying accommodation, etc.).




Calling Maneki-neko:



AskOksana has reported his experience at booking the Bangkok Airways Discovery Airpass on the thread ';how to buy Discovery Pass, Lao Air tickets in US.'; It would be really helpful to compare your experience of buying tickets for the same route. That would help us decide if the pass is really worthwhile or not.






Wjames-



I had previously looked into the pass as I frequently fly between Bangkok/laos %26amp; Cambodia, but either it was never much of a savings for me on the routes I was taking or it didn%26#39;t apply to the routes I was taking at the time. Turns out I will be flying the identical route as Okasana%26#39;s friend, albeit in reverse, in September, so I am looking into the airpass now.





I was quoted at $400 ($100 each) for the flights using the airpass (excluding airport taxes, insurance and fuel surcharges) and according to the website, the total of the normal fares, including taxes, etc would come to $550. I have no idea how much will be added on to the airpass fares(taxes, etc), but I don%26#39;t think it%26#39;s going to end up being significantly cheaper than the normal fares. If I can save around $100, I%26#39;ll go for it. I am also living in Japan, and my local travel agent can obtain the airpass for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment