Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Confused about best area's to stay in Vang Vieng...

Hi





I am a bit confused about VV from an accommodation perspective.





What do people mean by %26#39;the island%26#39;?





Which side of %26#39;the bridge%26#39; should you stay to avoid having to pay every single time you cross back to your accoms (etc).





I will be with 6 others and looking for 4 clean, quiet rooms in early to mid May. Preferably looking to spend under $20USD (approx $30AUD) a night if s possible.





Don%26#39;t mind noise until about 11pm or so but then would like peaceful, quieter area for sleeping. Is this possible if you stay right in town?





We don%26#39;t mind a 10 - 15 min walk into town and staying on the outskirts if it means cheap, clean and peaceful!





Can anyone help? Thankyou in advance...





Cheers... wishtago :)





Confused about best area's to stay in Vang Vieng...


Thre is a little bridge across the Nam Song which leads to an island. This is a rather budget, backpacker, alternative area. I would avoid it like the plague, but then again maybe it appeals to others.



Confused about best area's to stay in Vang Vieng...


Ta Rufuscat





I hear ya!





So the bridge you pay to cross each time gets you to the noisy, non stop backpacker part. Don%26#39;t mind checking the area out but not where we want to crash in the evenings!





Thankyou for clearing that up - seeing I have never even watched one episode of Friends I%26#39;m probably going to find all the bars and eateries amusing (or %26#39;get me out of here boring%26#39;)!





Any suggestions from yourself, or anyone, on clean, quiet accoms still most appreciated. The accoms in VV are not the easiest to find good reviews on! :)




Personally I like staying at the Vansana Hotel. Nice rooms, a good pool and right on the rive. Unfortunatley it is over your posted budget however.




wishtago... You probably already have checked out travelfish..





travelfish.org/accommodation/…all





Also I just stayed at the Ban Sabai Bungalows, prebooked thru this website, but might again like the above post be out of your price range.





vang-vieng-hotels.com/hotels-in-vang-vieng







Along the riverside is where you probably be looking at. Sounds like it out of town but really only 2-5 minute stroll to the cafĂ©’s, bars etc. everything is within walking distance.



BTW I take reviews as a guide only.




Alicie





could you please recommend what%26#39;s worth to see around Ban Sabai Bungalows?





what%26#39;s there to do?




If you don%26#39;t mind a 10 minute walk I often stay at the Thavisouk Resort - 10 minutes downstream of the main area, quiet with AC bungalows and a restaurant on the river. Its $20 per night.




Hello Yalowa,



What worth seeing around BanSabai bungalows?



Well I not sure any thing different than the others. Has nice outdoor eating %26amp; sitting area to view the river.



Do you mean what is worth seeing in and around Vang Vieng?




Hallo Alicie





i really meant around the Ban Sabai Bungalows. Anyway, i also would love to know what you did there and/or worth seeing in Vang Vieng:)




Well it is a place to stay in Vang Vieng but on the river. Another poster has asked me what we did also , I have typed out a few things. Haven’t included everything but may be of interest. Sorry not very good with reports so ask any questions %26amp; remember just my thoughts.





I not know what you like doing but I really enjoyed the scenery %26amp; outdoor activities. Vang Vieng offers a lot of both. I asked the hotel reception girl what she suggests that we do. She booked us a caveing and tubing or kayaking. I think you can book these anywhere as I presume it is a co op of guides ( our guide %26amp; others I noticed are well trained) small groups 5 or so people. There are other tours to do as well.



First we went to three caves near each other ( Elephant, Snail %26amp; Loop caves)…….I wouldn’t rec going alone as they are pitch black inside %26amp; in spots some deep holes.



Then the ‘watercave’ where you sit in a tube %26amp; pull yourself thru by a rope, honestly at first I thought looked a bit lame %26amp; not worth getting wet for..but was one of the best fun things I have done. We took the option of tubing down the river ( the most talked about activity ) from the Mullberry farm. I only stopped at one quiet bar ( but you could at any %26amp; two in our group stopped at afew) I found it amazing to be floating down the river then next minute “boom boom’ music blaring from loud speakers !! Ha Ha .Also, I found interestingly how the bars as they get closer to the starting point are more %26amp; more elaborate. one even has a water slide !!. One day there will be a ‘Gold Coast’ theme park : - ) There is a lot of discussion on forums about this as the bars encourage binge drinking. I was there at xmas so party goers where in full merriment yet didn’t upset my time as I just avoided that scene.





Therefore, I wouldn’t let this put you off doing river activities as you not have to partake or even stop at any. A lot of tourists hire the boat %26amp; driver ( near the Villa Nam Song hotel) to take them sightseeing..I didn’t but looked like a good thing to do.







Also, hiring a push bike ( a mountain bike is best) to ride around the outskirts. They give you a hand drawn map of the places of interests. We had one great day where we rode to Poukham Cave there is a really pretty swimming hole where the water is aqua blue from the limestone, nice area %26amp; a kiosk . Take some water but there is enough places along the way to stop for a cold drink. I was a bit of a speed demon on my pushy ( lucky didn’t come a gutsa) had to tell afew other tourists to keep heading towards the hill %26amp; it round the other side as quite afew side tracks to explore. So remember that %26amp; make sure to grab the ‘hand drawn map’.



You can also, walk to a cave near the Vang Vieng resort(?) it is over an orange bridge.. but please do not make the mistake I did and listen to my travel buddy to take a short cut back %26amp; end up in the bush..not a good idea..take the road back.





After our days adventures we could have relaxed at the ‘Ban Sabai ’ but a new hotel was being built next door so abit noisy during the day… by chance we found a great place to chill..



I think it is where rufus mentioned over a little bridge a group of bars that I think the partiers go to at night. During the day empty %26amp; just prefect



.The one we liked and found ourselves in the afternoons was the ‘Bamboo Bar’ it has individual huts with hammocks, lovely view across the river %26amp; a good place to relax.. The expat guy working there ( sorry forget his name) showed me a flyer he is going to distribute around town to try %26amp; encourage a bit more responsible behaviour as well as warning of some scams.



Gosh I certainly have typed a lot…



Btw yes it is true !! tourist do sit around watching friends ..the very first thing I took a photo of. I not get why as they all looked pretty dull %26amp; bored to me.



I only spent three days there. Please post what things you find to do as I would like to go back ..maybe do one of the hiking tours. Hope helps.



PS check out the ‘stay another day’ http://www.stayanotherday.org/search




yalowa sorry we having crazy weather here in OZ at the moment haven’t been able to post earlier

No comments:

Post a Comment