Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Villa Chitdara

Has anyone stayed at Villa Chitdara in Luang Prabang? I have seen it on the internet and was thinking about booking there but can%26#39;t find any reviews on it. Please comment if you know anything good or bad or average. Thanks



Villa Chitdara


Hi





I was looking for opinions too, but I couldn%26#39;t find anything about this place. It%26#39;s pretty new, so I guess it hasn%26#39;t been through a full %26#39;season%26#39; yet. I have booked a room there for 4 days in early October, so I%26#39;ll post some feedback when I%26#39;m there. It was recommended by a couple of friends in LP and it%26#39;s certainly in a good spot. I stayed at the Apsara in Feb and that was a great spot overlooking the Nam Khan, but I had wanted to be at the Senesouk this time for the location, but as usual they were full. I know that it%26#39;s in a good part of town, near to wats and restaurants, but not in the thick of things.





cheers





Paulo



Villa Chitdara


Thanks Paulo, we have booked there for in a week or so - here%26#39;s hoping it%26#39;ll be good!




Chitdara is lovely,we arranged for friends to stay there and they found it very pleasant and comfortable, new with all mod cons. Another one to check out is Lotus Villa not far from there. Both are near Senesouk and with equal or better facilities and include breakfast. You can stroll along from there to the lovely area near Wat Nong and the residential area in the promontory.




Thanks, that%26#39;s good to know, it came recommended, so I figured it would be ok, but it%26#39;s nice to get some positive feedback... maybe your friends could post a review?



cheers



paulo




Hi. I stayed 2 nights at Villa Chitdara. It is a nice Guesthouse with new rooms with lovely wooden features. Each room has a balcony, but only a few have a front facing balcony to get views of the Monks as they take Alms in the morning. We had requested a front balcony, but when we arrived they were unable to accommodate this.





The twin room we stayed in was clean and nice with TV and fridge, however it was quite small and a little crowded with our two suitcases. The bathroom was also very clean and nice.





The staff do not speak much English and came across as a bit unhelpful, but I think they are more shy than anything.





Unfortunately there was quite a bit of building noise when I was there as there is building at the back of the property and also across the road - once these are completed I%26#39;m sure it will be fine.





The location is very good, particularly if you prefer not to be right in the thick of the night market area, and it was excellent for rolling out of bed at 0600 to check out the Monks who walk past the front of the guesthouse.





I changed to another guesthouse after 2 days in Luang Prabang and really liked where we went - Villa Lakkham (or Ban Lakkham) which has an outlook to the river, gorgeous airy feeling rooms with good bathrooms and you can take breakfast on your private balcony or on the riverside. The manager there spoke very good English and was very helpful. However, for TV lovers, there were no TVs in the rooms.




I just got back from Luang Prabang where I stayed at the Villa Chitdara. Overall, I give it a positive review, but there were a couple of things that irked me.





First, the positives: It is nicely situated approximately one ';block'; away from the main street. It took me about 5 minutes to walk to the night market each night. The room itself was clean as was the bathroom. There was A/C, a TV, and a fridge in the room. There was also a computer in the ';lobby'; with free internet access. Although their English seemed to be a bit limited, the staff was nice and friendly and was able to help arrange tours, taxis, etc. Breakfast was included with our room and it was decent. There were eggs, fresh fruit, juice, bread, pancakes and pastries. There are also small stores directly across the street and at the corner where you can buy water, snacks, etc.





Now, the things that irked me: Although the room was clean, it was a bit small. There was a rack in the room where we could place our backpacks, but there were no selves or drawers so that we could unpack. Whenever we left our room, we had to leave the key at the front desk. As such, we were asked by the staff to return by midnight. On one occassion, we actually returned quite late (3 am). The lobby was locked and the gates were closed. We had to ring the doorbell in order to wake up the staff in order to get into our room. As for the breakfast, it was generally good but the pancakes were made first thing in the morning so they were cold and hard by the time I ate them. My last complaint is the unpleasant odor that we smelled on the street on the way to the hotel. Just before reaching the hotel, you pass over what I think to be a latrine for the house across the road. Although the stench cannot be smelled in either the rooms or the hotel, it is still rather unpleasant nonetheless.




';As such, we were asked by the staff to return by midnight. On one occassion, we actually returned quite late (3 am). The lobby was locked and the gates were closed. We had to ring the doorbell in order to wake up the staff in order to get into our room.';





Frankly I think you should be thankful they lt you in. Firstly they asked you to return by a set time. Secondly, isn%26#39;t there a curfew in LP?




I was very grateful that they let us in. My point is that I found it to be a bit of an inconvenience having to turn in my key every time I left the room and having to be back by a certain time every night. Had I known this ahead of time, I would have opted to stay elsewhere.





As for a formal curfew, I can%26#39;t say for sure. I know that almost all restaurants and pubs close by midnight, but there is one place that stays open until 3 am.




Hello everybody,





I am French and I%26#39;ve spent a 4night stay in the VILLACHITDARA 2 month ago with my wife. My friends suggested me to sleep there in Luang Prabang because they have tried several other guesthouses before.





So, the only advice I can give you about this place: Go there!





Maybe you can find other places with cheapiest price but in Villachitdara, you will find all your confort you need for a very great holiday in Luang Prabang.





Very good location (near to the centre, near to the Mekong, night market closed, on the monk walk...), a very kind staff (maybe a little shy), A/C, TV, minibar, balcony...Convenience store in front of the gueshouse.





A clean %26amp; new guesthouse! It was a nice experience! Perfect place for good souvenirs in Luang Prabang.




Stayed there in November, just posted review today. Place is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment