Wednesday, December 7, 2011

visa question

hi all, my husband and I would like to get our visas on arrival in Laos (no time to do prior to leaving home). I have found several forum posts talking about this being possible at luang prabang airport when we fly in. Just wanted to check this is still the case and what currencies the visa charge is payable in? i see some people just quote a USD price or AUD price but I assume it can be paid in local currency? Though I have been to airports before and had to pay visas NOT in the local currency. Is there an ATM at Luang Prabang that we can withdraw local currency at? Advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!





visa question


As far as I know visa payment is always in US$ never local currency.



visa question


It is always a good idea to have foreign currency but I think you can pay for your visa with the local currency. There is an ATM at the LP airport but it may not help in the Visa stakes as it is on the way out past customs etc. When we arrived there it was empty but when I got home the transaction was charged to us anyway so watch that. There are 4 ATMs in LP but they do run out so get your moolah in the mornings.Another little tip ATMs generally will tell you how much money is available before you start your transaction ( I worked this out after the first incident)




Hi Bunny,





Unless you have been to Laos before you will not be able to get the local currency before you have to pay for the visa. The visa is generally paid for in USD although I have paid in both Thai Baht and Lao Kip before. Not sure about other currencies I%26#39;m afraid.




As posted above you will not be able to get any kip before you go thru immigration so you need to pay in thai baht or US dollars for the visa it%26#39;s either $35 dollars US or 1500 thai baht and if you do the conversion its cheaper to pay in US dollars as 1500 baht equals $42 dollars, I think I saw some europeans paying in euros but can%26#39;t really conferm that, and as for getting a visa ahead of time, here in the USA they want $50 plus shipping both ways so not really worth it there, callao

No comments:

Post a Comment