Monday, December 12, 2011

Bicyling in Laos

Can anyone recommend an outfitter for a bike trip in Laos?





We are 2 over 40, well traveled individuals...can you recommend a good path in terms of riding. To start in Luang Prabrang and then ride for a few days and go to??? I%26#39;ve read here that Vang Vien is not so interesting. All comments welcome.



Bicyling in Laos


Vang Vieng is amazing, especially the karst mountain scenery (and countless caves to explore!). You will need mountain bikes for that terrain. People with negative reviews of VV have spent their time in the center of town talking with other backpackers and watching TV. Waste of time,if you ask me...





I have heard they are no longer renting out bikes in Luang Prabang, for what reason no one seems to be able to explain. Arrange a cycling tour when you get there. Inquire at one of the many agencies in town. Guesthouses may also be able to arrange this.



Bicyling in Laos


Girltraveler85, I think the ride from LP to VV is fantastic (I did this route last year - I have some small number of photos at noexpectations.com.au/galleries/laos-decembe… ). You can see the route in Google Maps at maps.google.com/… (it%26#39;s missing the first bit from LP but you%26#39;ll get the idea).





It%26#39;s about a 3 day ride, the first two days are quite tough in the mountains but really spectacular views and scenery. I remember very clearly the 22km ride up the last hill of the day (I am also over 40). On the other hand, I also remember some fantastic downhills as well :-)





VV is a good place to rest for a bit, and the road from their to Vientiane isn%26#39;t as interesting. I took my own bike which worked out well.





PM me if you have any questions,





--Kip




Hi - re. Outfitters:





there is only one shop in Laos that sells the type of bike you could go touring on, on Dongpalane close to the well known morning market. This is the only place you could get a decent bike but I don%26#39;t think he has panniers and racks. All the other bikes for sale in Laos are cheap chinese ones and wouldn%26#39;t get you far! There are also some Thai mountain bikes around but again not touring machines.





You would be much better off bringing your own bike which is what most cycle tourists do here.

No comments:

Post a Comment