Monday, December 12, 2011

1 extra day in Chiang Mai or Luang Prabang?

I will be traveling to Southeast Asia in January 2009 and would greatly appreciate advice from travellers who have been to these two cities. I am trying to decide in which city to spend one extra day, Chiang Mai or Luang Prabang. Our current itinerary has us staying in CM for 4 1/2 days, and LP for 3 1/2 days but we have an extra day we can tack on somewhere. We are hoping to do the following activities:

1) Cooking class (Chiang Mai)

2) Gibbon Adventure/ zip-lining (Chiang Mai)

3) Elephants (and bamboo rafting if possible)

4) Trekking and hill tribes

Has anyone done the elephant farms or hill tribe treks in Laos? I am wondering if these activities might be better in Laos or Chiang Mai. Weather is a consideration (January 9-13).

Thanks for any advice!

K.

1 extra day in Chiang Mai or Luang Prabang?

I will spend one extra day in LP without second thought. I have done all of your list except number 2. I did cooking class in CM and LP. I don%26#39;t think you need to do it both place. I liked the cooking class in CM with A Lot of Thai. Trekking in Laos was highlight of our trip to Laos. It is very beautiful.

1 extra day in Chiang Mai or Luang Prabang?

Yes an extra day in LP - Chiang Mai is nice but definitely past its peak. The combined elephant ride/village walk/kayaking day in LP is about $70 and longer 3 day mahout courses are available. The farm is about 10km from LP town.

Trekking in Laos is more original and unchanged than around the Chiang Mai area - the treks through villages I did there a few years ago (2002) were quite Disneyfied (although its the popularity of trekking that eventually makes them this way of course). There are good treks starting from Luang Namtha, Muang Ngoi, or Oudomxai, all a few hours(3-6)bus north of LP.

And your last query - the weather is great in January - dry, and cool at night


My vote also goes for Luang Prabang - one needs as long as possible here to absorb the restful atmosphere which gets slower the longer you stay. Its a very special sort of place.


Thanks for everyone%26#39;s advice and suggestions! Based on your recommendations I%26#39;ve decided to add the day to Luang Prabang and take a day excursion to trek in the countryside surrounding LP rather than Chiang Mai. I am considering doing treks with either Tiger Trails or Green Discovery...any thoughts? I%26#39;ve read generally very good reviews of both companies with the odd negative comment.

Thanks again!

K.


Good choice - I am in LP and love it so much I keep extending my stay. I have scrapped visiting Thailand on this trip because Laos is so cool.

  • hair coloring
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment