Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Help with Loas and Cambodia itinerary

Hello all





Just started planning for a trip to Cambodia and Laos in possibly October/November 2009. Originally I planned a 14 day trip but this is not looking reasonable with all the places I%26#39;m considering. Consequently my trip is up to 17 days. This site has given me huge amount of ideas but I still need some input. My holiday priorities are Ankor Wat, Luang Prabang and visiting a place with beautiful green mountainous waterside scenery like Vang Vieng. So here is my first shot at an itinery:





1 Arrive in Bangkok



2 Fly Bangkok to Luang Prabang



3 LP



4 LP



5 bus to Vang Vieng



6 VV



7 VV



8 bus to Vientiane



9 Vientiane



10 Fly to Phnom Penh



11 Phnom Penh



12 Phnom Penh



13 Bus to Ankor wat



14 Ankor wat



15 Ankor wat



16 bus to Bangkok



17 Fly from Bangkok





Is this too much in too short a time? I%26#39;ve taken more days than I%26#39;ve planned already, but if adding another couple more days will make a world of difference then I%26#39;ll do it. Are there missible places on my list for example Phnom Penh? I included VV because its decription of the scenery sounds exactly what I%26#39;m after. The backpacking hub put me off a little but I%26#39;m sure I would enjoy the atmosphere anyhow. Are there places close to Luang Prabang that are just as mountainous and beautiful as VV. Maybe I could skip VV and save some time or use it else where. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.





Thanks





uktraveller0



Help with Loas and Cambodia itinerary


It%26#39;s a bit rushed, but it%26#39;s certainly do-able. In fact, I%26#39;ve got a similar rushed itinerary set for myself at the end of January.





Looking through your itinerary, I can%26#39;t really find anything I would change. All those places are very enjoyable. Even Vang Vieng with all the backpackers is a lot of fun...and, of course, stunningly located.





Have you been to Bangkok before, though? I%26#39;d recommend making room for at least one full day there if you haven%26#39;t been before.



Help with Loas and Cambodia itinerary


I would shave off a day from Vang Vieng and one from Phnom Penh (if you are taking that 10:10am flight you will arrive in Phnom Penh at 11:50, allowing you a half day to see the sights after you arrive!) and add more time on to the Siem Reap part of the trip. It is an amazing area, there is nothing in the world like it, and your 2 days there will NOT do it justice.



What are you hoping to do while in Vang Vieng? If you want to do some caving and see the town, a day and a half will suffice. It is lovely there and the ';hippy'; factor can be easily avoided (You can chill out just as well in Phnom Penh or Siem Reap, sans drugged-up hippies)...




Thanks for the quick and helpful info. Glad to hear my trip is not too rushed. My plan in Vang Vieng is mainly to do some caving and take in some beautiful sites. Relaxing on the river doesn%26#39;t sound too bad either.





I have another question I would be greatful for help with. During the October to November period, how badly will the rainy season affect the roads between LP -%26gt; VV -%26gt; Vientiane. I worry roads being closed could mess up my itinerary. Though whilst it is still the rainy season I expect the weather won%26#39;t affect outdoor activities too much?





thanks





uktraveller0




October is the beginning of the ';rains retreat';, the end of rainy season. I spent 2 weeks in Laos in September and it was amazing. One day of rain in the afternoon, and a few nights of rain. I was also there in early July and there was more rain then. Later on, there was some serious flooding (esp. in Vientiane), and many roads were washed out. You should see how the situation goes towards the end of the summer- that would dictate the condition of the roads the next couple of months after that. I really wouldn%26#39;t worry about it if I were you.

No comments:

Post a Comment