Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Female solo traveller to Vientiane?

Hi,

I plan to do a short trip to Vientiane next month.

I%26#39;m a Southeast Asian female travelling alone, and I%26#39;m wondering how safe is it. Any advice and experience?

I will be flying in to Vientiane, but I plan to take a bus to Bangkok after that. I understand that there are buses that travel from Vientiane to Khao San Road in Bangkok. Does anyone have more details on where to get the tickets (can I pre-book) and how long the journey takes?

Thanks!

Female solo traveller to Vientiane?

Escapadee, I would consider Vientiane a safe place to visit for anyone. Just take reasonable precautions as you would anywhere (ie. don%26#39;t wear all your diamonds out for a midnight walk :-). It%26#39;s a nice quiet and relaxed place and there are low chances of you having any issues.

I haven%26#39;t caught the bus from VTE to BKK so can%26#39;t advise. You could consider catching the overnight train from Nong Khai (25kms from VTE and in Thailand) as an option; it%26#39;s quite popular too.

Have a good trip,

--Kip

Female solo traveller to Vientiane?

It is not as safe as it was. There have been recent incidents of bag snatching and muggings. Mind you, these could happen anywhere. The thing to do is to be sensible and walk in well lit areas where there are people around.

You can take the bus to Bangkok, but it does take a long time and isn%26#39;t the most comfortable. Have you considered going to Udon and taking a budget airline to Krungthep? (Bkk) Its about the same as the train and much faster of course.


Vientiane is safer than the vast majority of cities in the world. As with anywhere, you should be sensible and take precautions. There has been an increase in bag snatching in the last couple of years, but still would happily describe Vientiane as %26#39;safe%26#39;


Hi!

Thanks for advice! I think I will take the overnight train from Nhong Kai.

Are the bus tickers to Nhong Kai and the train tickets (Nhong Kai to BKK) readily available? Do I have to book them in advance? Any recommendations about where to get them?

Thanks!


Trains from Nong Khai to BKK do become fully booked during the high season, often several days in advance. You can buy tickets in advance from several agencies in Vientiane. Green Discovery next to Khop Chai Deu restaurant on Namp Phou (easily found once you are in Vientiane) sell tickets,

Cheers

Lee


I was alone in VTE for a few days a few months ago. Never felt any danger. Took the ';vip'; bus to BKK it takes a long time. I got my ticket for I think 800thai baht from Green discovery. The trip took total about 10 hours, arrived on Khao san road at 5-6am. Bus was new, had AC, as comfy as you can get for a bus. booked the ticket the day before.


Thanks for the assurance! Leaving at the end of the week, and to be honest, I%26#39;m pretty nervous about it now because of the BKK airport shutdown (will be exiting Laos via BKK). Everyone%26#39;s been telling me to cancel the trip, but I%26#39;m reluctant to. I will just go ahead, with my fingers crossed.


Just flew from that airport this evening back up to Laos - no problems whatsoever and immigration queues were non=existent


Just flew from that airport this evening back up to Laos - no problems whatsoever and immigration queues were non-existent

  • ie hosted control
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment