Friday, April 2, 2010

Laos trip

Hi, I am planning a trip through Laos in May and am hoping to find some advice about travel logistics etc. I will probably be entering from Chang Mai to Houayxai. How long does this trip take on by bus?





Then my plan is Louang Phabang hoping to get something a bit quicker than a slow boat, any other good options, are the speed boats safe and how much faster are they?





I hope to make it all the way down to the four thousand island because i her the country is really beautiful down there but am wary of how far a journey it is.





How long would a bus take all the way down from somewhere like Vientiane, and is there anywhere noteworthy to stop on the way?





Otherwise on my itinerary are Vang Viang, Plain of Jars, but I am open to suggestions. I have about 2 weeks in Laos in total before moving on to Cambodia.





ANy help in planning would be greatly appreciated





Laos trip


Hi - I wouldnt use the speedboats - I used one once Vientiane to SW Lao and it was dangerous - 100kph with submerged logs. Its very hard on the back too. Other than the slowboat you can bus to Oudomxai (6hrs), stay a night, then another bus to LP (6-7hrs), or fly Houayxai to LP I think 3x per week. Luang Namtha is worth a visit too and if you are in Oudomxai its just a 3-4 hour detour. Lots of ethnic groups here, good trekking and only 2 hours bus on to Muang Sing (from L-N).





Southern Laos is very nice and you could break your journey from Vientiane at savannakhet (aircon comfy bus 10 hrs overnight, nightmare local bus 14-16 hrs). Savannakhet is a nice sleepy town with lots of old french buildings and you can visit Wat Inpeng and laze by the river. Its about the same travel time again from savannakhet to Pakse and the far south but I%26#39;ve never bused this road.



Laos trip


You can easily take the sleeper bus from Vientiane to Pakse. There are actual sleeper berths where you are horizontal (single and double) and they provide you with bedding and water. Toilet on board as well. Departs at 8:30pm arrives Pakse at 6am. It cost 160,000 kip when I took it in September.




Agree with the sore legged, (cramped) one. Speedboats are dangrous. look you are not here that long. Why don%26#39;t you fly to Pakse? It%26#39;s not that expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment