Friday, April 2, 2010

Laos and Vietnam Itinerary

Hi,





I have 3 weeks to spend in Laos and Vietnam. I would love some advice about our plans. We wanted to fly from Bangkok to Chiang Rai and get the slow boat from Huay Xai - Luang Prabang (3-4 days in LP). We have not heard great things about Vientiane so might skip that altogether ??



Because of time limitations we are going to skip Southern Vietnam and go as far south as Hoi An. Is it possible to get a flight from Luang Prabang (or Vientiane) to either Hoi An or Danang ?? and what is the airline ? then we will make our way up to Hanoi, Halong Bay and Sapa. Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.... Thanks



Laos and Vietnam Itinerary


Who told you to miss Vientiane and why? This is a poor decision and an uninformed one - not by you, but the people who misinformed you. Vientiane has a lot to offer and I would definitely spend 2 days there.



No, you can%26#39;t fly to Hoi An or Danang. You can fly to Saigon or H.C.M. City from Vientiane.



Laos and Vietnam Itinerary


Hi, I will try and maybe give you a few ideas or my thoughts. I am no expert.



%26lt;%26lt;Is it possible to get a flight from Luang Prabang (or Vientiane) to either Hoi An or Danang ?? and what is the airline ?%26gt;%26gt;





Maybe best to check Laos airlines schedule I do not think they do at the present, seem to be extending %26amp; adding new flights monthly. Alternatively, look at the bus routes they do from Vientiane. An idea might be to do trip in opposite IE arrive VN then Lao then boat to Thailand.



No airport at Hoi An ( fly into Danang then transfer)



I presuming your 3 weeks start at Huay Xai



( 2day slow boat)



OK Yes IMO 3-4days is bare minimum for LP



There is your first week taken.



%26lt;%26lt;We have not heard great things about Vientiane so might skip that altogether ??%26gt;%26gt;



%26lt;Great things%26gt; as in ?? I think maybe used the wrong words as I have not experienced or heard %26lt;bad thing%26gt; ;-)



I guessing they meant not as totally %26amp; solely geared for tourism as LP or Hoi An and in your short time frame an idea to miss.



. If your trip requires a transfer thru, do yourself a favour %26amp; have atleast 1 night stopover. I agree is worth at least 2 whole days. (Self walking tour %26amp; there is enough variety of eateries %26amp; bars to keep even the fussy happy). I actually forgot I was in a countries capital city., so layback, friendly %26amp; easy and from what I have heard soon to be rapidly changing.





VN and presuming you allowing 2 weeks



Fly (?) into Hoi An 2-3 days



Car over HeliVan Pass (Marble mountain) to Hue ( ½ day to includes stops)



1 day Hue ( Manderin Café or Stop %26amp; Go Café for day tour, both have standard tour of sights %26amp; flexible to suit. ( Car, driver %26amp; guide)



Fly from here to Hanoi



Halong Bay 2 day 1 night trip



Arrive back in Hanoi 4-5pm



Catch train to Sapa 9 pm



2 nights Sapa arrive back to Hanoi at 5 am



{The above ‘idea’ Halong /Sapa allows omitting an overnight in Hanoi}



Any leftover Hanoi.





All of the above I try to take into account your hope to hit the major tourism stops in a



limited time. I agree with your idea for VN doing just either south or north ( for 2 weeks) is sensible %26amp; just doing Hoi An, Hanoi, Sapa %26amp; Halong ( I added Hue as why not ?so close %26amp; easy to fly to Hanoi from. ) I suggest not adding anymore or you will need a holiday when home.




%26lt;You can fly to Saigon or H.C.M. City from Vientiane.%26gt;



Rufus I think means Hanoi or H.C.M.C ??



P.S. If Vientiane doesn’t appeal to you..Hue may not either. Read up on. I found very interesting.




Yes indeed.




I agree with Rufus that you shouldn%26#39;t miss Vientiane. Even travelling around Laos people people seem to knock it. I found that most of them hadn%26#39;t been there. Its any easy place to spend a few days and even though it is the capital its still very laid back. Plenty of great places to eat as well, dont miss a Beer Lao or two by the Mekong at sunset , followed by whatever takes your fancy from the displays of food ,cooked over wood coals. Also try at least one meal at Makphet where they train homeless kids to cook and wait tables.



As for Vietnam I would choose the north, going to the places mentioned -Hanoi as the base (fly here from Vientiane),take the Reunification Express to Da Nang and catch a bus to Hoi An, fly back to Hanoi, take an overnight cuise at Halong Bay , go up to Sapa ( night train and bus).



Fill in spare days in and around Hanoi.



I use Kangaroo Cafe (the original one run by Max the Aussie) to arrange the tours like Halong and sapa. Hes not the cheapest but it works and there is never a hassle and cuts out the running around when you have a limited amount of time.




Hi, My niece is there now %26amp; loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment